It is my pleasure to work with first time home buyers. This subject comes to me after much time speaking with the Producer of HGTV’s “Home & Family” TV Show. She has been picking my brain for tips and tricks of how to make a house more valuable. This lead me to the thought, “I wonder if I express to my first time home buyers just how important taking the first step to home ownership is?” I concluded: I don’t think I do.
In the following paragraphs I will explain the benefits of just pulling the trigger, whether it be the perfect house for you or not.
1. RENT vs BUY: Why pay the landlord your hard earned cash? Granted you may not be able to afford Prime Location on a purchase, but in 10 years, when location ceases to matter, because you won’t be going to the bars or worried what others will think, you will have equity in something, REAL PROPERTY.
2. PRIDE of OWNERSHIP: When you own something you live in, you have an extraordinary sense of pride. The positive energy oozes out of you like you just bought a new pair of sneakers and wore them to the gym for the first time, finding out that you ran faster and lifted heavier than before, MUST HAVE BEEN THE SHOES!!!
3. APPRECIATION of an ASSET: Your house appreciates in value, granted you’re not in the middle of nowhere, but most markets will increase in value as time goes on. You’re going to sell this house one day, or maybe you’ll rent it out, but either way, appreciation is going to happen, don’t miss out.
4. THIS is YOUR FIRST HOUSE, not your last: You may get married in this house, you may not. You may have a kid in this house, you may not. That being said, don’t look for the perfect floor plan mixed with the right paint job on the house, think of this first purchase as a way to start creating wealth. Think of it as a big savings account that one day, when you do get married, when you do have kids, you can sell and buy something that fits just right. If you wait for the perfect place, chances are you will not find it. This does not have to be a long term relationship, just a way to start accumulating more wealth.
5. INTEREST PAYMENT TAX REFUND: That interest that you are paying on your loan… yeah, that $10-$20 Thousand dollars per year that goes to the interest of the loan… THE IRS REFUNDS YOU AT THE END OF THE YEAR!!! You get a nice check. So maybe your mortgage was $3000 a month for your 2 bdroom condo in Hollywood. Well after one year, you actually were only spending $1990 a month to live there. And you have built almost $30,000 worth of equity in the home, it didnt go to your landlord, that money is YOURS!
6. PEOPLE TRUST YOU MORE WHEN YOU OWN A HOME: Everything in your life will look brighter, people will love you more, the birds will chirp, the sun will shine brighter when you own a home. Try it out.
NOTE: I love first time homebuyers. I work with them often and will hold hands all the way through the process. It’s a big deal, but done right you will thank yourself in the future. Now is the time. Start looking today. You can search for homes in your area at www.findlosangeleslistings.com